Topic: Why Evil Occurs
TEXT: Ezekiel 9:1-11
1. He cried also in mine ears with a loud voice, saying, Cause them that have charge over the city to draw near, even every man with his destroying weapon in his hand.
2. And, behold, six men came from the way of the higher gate, which lieth toward the north, and every man a slaughter weapon in his hand; and one man among them was clothed with linen, with a writer’s inkhorn by his side; and they went in, and stood beside the brasen altar.
3. And the glory of the God of Israel was gone up from the cherub, whereupon he was, to the threshold of the house. And he called to the man clothed with linen, which had the writer’s inkhorn by his side;
4. And the LORD said unto him, Go through the midst of the city, through the midst of Jerusalem, and set a mark upon the foreheads of the men that sigh and that cry for all the abominations that be done in the midst thereof.
5. And to the others he said in mine hearing, Go ye after him through the city, and smite; let not your eye spare, neither have ye pity;
6. Slay utterly old and young, both maids, and little children, and women; but come not near any man upon whom is the mark; and begin at my sanctuary. Then they began at the ancient men which were before the house.
7. And he said unto them, Defile the house, and fill the courts with the slain; go ye forth. And they went forth, and slew in the city.
8. And it came to pass, while they were slaying them, and I was left, that I fell upon my face, and cried, and said, Ah Lord GOD! wilt thou destroy all the residue of Israel in thy pouring out of thy fury upon Jerusalem?
9. Then said he unto me, The iniquity of the house of Israel and Judah is exceeding great, and the land is full of blood, and the city full of perverseness; for they say, The LORD hath forsaken the earth, and the LORD seeth not.
10. And as for me also, mine eye shall not spare, neither will I have pity, but I will recompense their way upon their head.
11. And, behold, the man clothed with linen, which had the inkhorn by his side, reported the matter, saying, I have done as thou hast commanded me.
Key Verse: Ezekiel 9:9
hen said he unto me, The iniquity of the house of Israel and Judah is exceeding great, and the land is full of blood, and the city full of perverseness: for they say, The Lord hath forsaken the earth, and the Lord seeth not.
DCLM Daily Manna 10 November 2021 MESSAGE:
Anne Graham Lotz, the daughter of Billy Graham said, after the September 2011 terrorist attacks on US soil, that God abandoned Americans because of their attitude towards transgender rights, evolution and the separation of church and state. She said, “there is silliness, there is craziness, there’s the most illogical rulings…To me, its evidence that God has backed away. If Americans repent, God would begin to reveal plots of terrorists before they are carried out”.
Ezekiel the prophet was in a dilemma in our text. He wondered how God could order the destruction and killing of His people, including the old and young. He cried to God for mercy when he saw in a vision where the instruction was given to those who had the charge of the city to move in immediately and commence the killing. But God replied Ezekiel that the iniquity of Israel and Judah had gone over the roof and the land was full of blood. On top of that, the people refused to acknowledge the existence of God, claiming He had abandoned the earth and that He “seeth not”. The few in the city who were still praying and sighing over the sinfulness of the place were spared, having been given a mark of identification beforehand.
As humans, we cannot be definitive about why God allows certain things to happen; but surely, the world has ignored Him for too long. Man behaves as if God does not exist. We have taken liberty to the extreme where we feel our knowledge of science and medicine is enough to handle whatever health challenges we have. As believers, we must keep denouncing the evils in our day, weep and pray over our cities for God’s mercy.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: God’s love is revealed in His Judgments.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: Lamentations 4-5
DCLM Daily Manna 10 November 2021 Deeper Life Devotional Message was written by Pastor William Folorunso Kumuyi; is the founder and General Superintendent of the Deeper Life Bible Church situated at KM 42 on the busy Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Nigeria.