Anglican Daily Fountain 20 January 2022
Topic: Destruction Of Sinful People
Read: Amos 9 (NKJV)
1. I saw the Lord standing by the altar, and He said: “Strike the doorposts, that the thresholds may shake, And break them on the heads of them all. I will slay the last of them with the sword. He who flees from them shall not get away, And he who escapes from them shall not be delivered.
2. “Though they dig into hell, From there my hand shall take them; Though they climb up to heaven, From there I will bring them down;
3. And though they hide themselves on top of Carmel, From there I will search and take them; Though they hide from My sight at the bottom of the sea, From there I will command the serpent, and it shall bite them;
4. Though they go into captivity before their enemies, From there I will command the sword, And it shall slay them. I will set My eyes on them for harm and not for good.”
5. The Lord GOD of hosts, He who touches the earth and it melts, And all who dwell there mourn; All of it shall swell like the River, And subside like the River of Egypt.
6. He who builds His layers in the sky, And has founded His strata in the earth; Who calls for the waters of the sea, And pours them out on the face of the earth — The LORD [is] His name.
7. ” [Are] you not like the people of Ethiopia to Me, O children of Israel?” says the LORD. “Did I not bring up Israel from the land of Egypt, The Philistines from Caphtor, And the Syrians from Kir?
8. “Behold, the eyes of the Lord GOD [are] on the sinful kingdom, And I will destroy it from the face of the earth; Yet I will not utterly destroy the house of Jacob,” Says the LORD.
9. “For surely I will command, And will sift the house of Israel among all nations, As [grain] is sifted in a sieve; Yet not the smallest grain shall fall to the ground.
10. All the sinners of My people shall die by the sword, Who say, ‘The calamity shall not overtake nor confront us.’
11. ” On that day I will raise up The tabernacle of David, which has fallen down, And repair its damages; I will raise up its ruins, And rebuild it as in the days of old;
12. That they may possess the remnant of Edom, And all the Gentiles who are called by My name,” Says the LORD who does this thing.
13. ” Behold, the days are coming,” says the LORD, “When the plowman shall overtake the reaper, And the treader of grapes him who sows seed; The mountains shall drip with sweet wine, And all the hills shall flow [with it.]
14. I will bring back the captives of My people Israel; They shall build the waste cities and inhabit [them;] They shall plant vineyards and drink wine from them; They shall also make gardens and eat fruit from them.
15. I will plant them in their land, And no longer shall they be pulled up From the land I have given them,” Says the LORD your God.
Anglican Daily Fountain 20 January 2022 STUDY
The Lord had declared that if hands join together, sinners will never go unpunished. He made it clear that when the punishment comes, every sinner must receive it wherever he or she may hide. God’s judgement on evildoers will be dreadful because God’s eyes are set upon them for judgement and not for good.
It is regrettable that many people have forgotten the Almighty God who has given them life, cities, food and divine protection. They mock the Lord God by taking His name and His word in vain. God declared that all the sinners shall perish, but promised to restore and establish those who fear Him.
Our God has no pleasure in the death of a sinner, but that he shall repent, forsake his evil ways and come back to Him. This is the reason for sending His Son Jesus Christ to come and die in our stead. If you repent of all your sins and receive Jesus Christ into your life as Lord and Saviour, you will neither die nor perish, but shall have everlasting life.
PRAYER: Lord God Almighty, who has given us Your only Son Jesus Christ to save us from the wrath to come, give us the grace to serve you in this generation through the same Jesus Christ our Saviour. Amen.