Topic: The Great Physician
Read: Luke 10:1 – 9(NKJV)
1. After these things the Lord appointed seventy others also, and sent them two by two before His face into every city and place where He Himself was about to go.
2. Then He said to them, “The harvest truly [is] great, but the laborers [are] few; therefore pray the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest.
3. “Go your way; behold, I send you out as lambs among wolves.
4. “Carry neither money bag, knapsack, nor sandals; and greet no one along the road.
5. “But whatever house you enter, first say, ‘Peace to this house.’
6. “And if a son of peace is there, your peace will rest on it; if not, it will return to you.
7. “And remain in the same house, eating and drinking such things as they give, for the laborer is worthy of his wages. Do not go from house to house.
8. “Whatever city you enter, and they receive you, eat such things as are set before you.
9. “And heal the sick there, and say to them, ‘The kingdom of God has come near to you.’
ANGLICAN COMMUNION DEVOTIONAL OUTLINE FOR 18TH OCTOBER 2021.
Today we celebrate St. Luke’s day; the Gentile evangelist and physician who dedicated his life to the gospel assignment of healing of souls. This passage reveals Jesus sending His disciples out on their ways for these important assignments: To institute peace in every life and home(Lk. 10:5); To heal all kinds of sicknesses(Lk. 10:9); To proclaim the presence of the kingdom of God(Lk. 10:9).
The all-inclusive ministry of Jesus on earth takes very seriously the healing of people from all kinds of sicknesses: mental, physical, emotional, psychological or spiritual. It was a peaceful assignment devoid of force and compulsion, yet encouraging as many as are available to access the healing opportunity. No matter the intensity of the sickness, He is available today and always to heal you and the entire world. Jesus has extended His living word to us today. He expects that we receive Him with all enthusiasm (Lk. 10:6), so that His peace would rest on us and cancel all oppressive difficulties.
As we study, may we receive healing and restoration of perfect peace. We only need to surrender our lives to Him. He who receives Jesus receives the kingdom of God where he/she enjoys the fullness of righteousness, peace andj oy (Rom. 14:17).
PRAYER: No matter the burden you carry or the yoke you bear, the presence of Jesus the great physician lifts and destroys them (Isa. 10:27).
The Anglican Communion is the fourth-largest Christian denomination. Founded in 1867 in London, England, the communion currently has 85 million members within the Church of England and other national and regional churches in full communion.