DCLM Daily Manna Devotional
Date: 30th May 2021
Topic: Pay Your Vow!
TEXT: PSALM 116:10-19
10. I believed, therefore have I spoken; I was greatly afflicted;
11. I said in my haste, All men are liars.
12. What shall I render unto the LORD for all his benefits toward me?
13. I will take the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the LORD.
14. I will pay my vows unto the LORD now in the presence of all his people.
15. Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints.
16. O LORD, truly I am thy servant; I am thy servant, and the son of thine handmaid; thou hast loosed my bonds.
17. I will offer to thee the sacrifice of thanksgiving, and will call upon the name of the LORD.
18. I will pay my vows unto the LORD now in the presence of all his people,
19. In the courts of the LORD’S house, in the midst of thee, O Jerusalem. Praise ye the LORD
Key Verse: “I will pay my vows unto the LORD now in the presence of all his people” (Psalm 116:14).
The Psalmist was desperate for divine deliverance. He was close to death and so made a vow to God. He would not only carry out the vow that he made when he was sick, but would do so publicly in order to proclaim that God had restored him. By paying his vows, he maintained his integrity. A lot of people only think about vow in terms of money.
Believers need to know that vows include all manner of verbal pronouncements to do something for someone in appreciation for what one has received. It is sad that many people often relapse into either forgetfulness or sheer lack of will when it comes to redeeming their vows. As believers, we must always keep to our words and ensure that our words are our bond. Integrity is a very important virtue that is lacking in many people today, even among professing Christians. They renege in every bargain they enter into.
They borrow money from other people to solve their problems but they never keep to the terms of repayment. They even try to avoid the lender. Has God delivered you from one problem or the other for which you had made a commitment to serve Him better afterwards? Do not renege. The psalmist said it repeatedly in verses 14 and 18 for emphasis.
He was at the point of death when he made the vow and when he was delivered, he made a public thanksgiving by dedicating a whole chapter to talk about it. How many people have you shared the love and mercy of God upon you and your family with? We would be failing the integrity test if we fail to pay our vows after we must have received all the benefits from God. Defaulters can still make amends today before it is too late.
Thought for Today: Be a man of your word; pay your vows.
Bible in one Year: 1 SAMUEL 19 – 20
DCLM Daily Manna was written by Pastor W. F. Kumuyi; the founder and General Superintendent of the Deeper Christian Life Bible Ministry. Daily Manna is the daily devotional of the Deeper Christian Life Bible Ministry (DCLM). It is an extraction of God’s Word designed to draw the sincere seeker closer to God on a daily basis through an insightful exposition and analysis of God’s Word.
Share This Devotional With Others