Scripture Union Daily Guide 27 November 2021
Topic: Rediscovering Communal and Corporate Worship
OPENING PRAYER: As I read your word O Lord, grant me an insight and grace to do your will in Jesus name.
SCRIPTURE: Nehemiah 8:1-18
Question(s) for Reflection
• Is there any example for me to follow or not to follow?
• What is God revealing to me in this passage?
Read v.17 again. What do you notice? Chronologically, there is more than 900 years between Joshua and Nehemiah. What the people asked Ezra to do in v.1, and which took place for seven days (v.18) was historical. There are two components: the public reading of the Law (vs.2-9) and celebrating the Feast of Tabernacles or Booths (vs.13-17). The public reading of the Law: Notice the categories of people who participated in this memorable and great experience (vs.2-4, 7&9).
How does this inform how we conduct corporate and communal worship, whether at home or in Christian gatherings? The reading of God’s word was closely followed by explanation. Why (see vs.7-8)? What impact and response did this have on the people (see vs.6, 9, 11, 12)? Does the reading of God’s word at our Christian gatherings today bring about such conviction? Celebrating the Feast of Tabernacles: Read v.14 again and notice what the people rediscovered.
This is the Feast of Tabernacles (Leviticus 23:34-44; see also Zechariah 14:16-19). The feast was necessary both as a commemoration of the forty-year period of wandering in the desert and living in temporary shelters, but also as a celebration of the gathering of the harvest. How did they respond?
• For thought and reflection: What elements of worship (corporate, communal or private) do you need to rediscover?
• Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• Dear Lord, may the reading of your word bring about conviction and true repentance even today.
• Ask the Lord to go ahead of you into the coming week and make your way smooth and safe.
Prayer for the week
Pray for reawakening of the church of God to what is needed in this end time. Pray for spiritual strength and increased watchfulness against false and strange doctrines. Pray for Evangel Pentecostal Church.
Offer a prayer of faith in line with
• 2 Chron. 17-18; Luke 8:1-25